Chocolate Coffee Cake with Coconut Crumble
Who says cake isn't breakfast food? Not us! In fact, this often gloomy time of year between winter and spring is the perfect time to enjoy a rich, warm, and decadent slice of cake with your morning cup of java.
This chocolate coffee cake is a taste of paradise; made with Kauai Coffee and topped with a tropical coconut crumble, it will start your day on island time! Make one to share with your family, friends, or coworkers today, and tag us @kauaicoffeecompany on social media to tell us how it turned out.
For the coconut crumble
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into cubes
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Kauai Coffee, brewed strong
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup finely chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8x8 square baking dish with butter and parchment paper.
- Make the coconut crumb topping. Combine flour, sugars, cocoa powder, and flaked coconut in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and work into the dry ingredients until large crumbs form. Set the crumble aside and prepare the cake.
- In another large bowl beat the granulated sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Beat eggs and vanilla extract into the butter and sugar mixture until well combined.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together and then combine with the butter and egg mixture.
- Slowly add the brewed coffee and milk to the cake batter and mix until smooth. Then gently fold the chopped dark chocolate into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and liberally top with the coconut crumble.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy a decadent slice with a piping hot cup of Kauai Coffee! We recommend something with chocolate or bright berry tasting notes.
Chocolate Macadamia Nut - Rich and sweet, with a hint of nuttiness
Kalaheo Estate - Rich aroma with nutty notes and hints of sweet chocolate overtones
Kauai Breeze - Smooth plush mouthfeel with subtle hints of chocolate in the cup. Delicately bright acidity hidden by nutty undertones.
McBryde Estate - Pleasantly sweet aroma with rounding hints of chocolate, dry berry, and floral notes
Typica Medium Roast - Sweet-toned with delicately complex flavor, influenced by lingering hints of sweet berry.
Related Blog postsView all
Coffee Flavor Profile: Chocolate and Cocoa
Every cup of Hawaiian coffee tells a story, narrated by the intricate symphony of factors that shape its flavor. Much like the celebrated complexity of wine or whisky, the flavor profile of a high-...
How to Grind Coffee Beans Like a Pro
Sipping a delicious cup of coffee in the morning is a delightful ritual for most Americans. From the first whiff of fresh Hawaiian coffee beans wafting from the package to the sounds of your percol...
Coffee for Two: Valentine’s Day Recipes
Being in the coffee business, we know a thing or two about love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships beg...
4 Easy Ways to Brew Hawaiian Coffee: Your Guide to a Perfect Cup
Imagine starting your day with a barista-quality cup of coffee brewed quickly and effortlessly in your own kitchen. At Kauai Coffee, we believe indulging in a perfect cup of Hawaiian coffee should ...
Behind the Beans: A Virtual Visit to Kauai Coffee
Nestled on the sun-kissed South Shore of Kauai, the Kauai Coffee Visitor Center is more than just an attraction; it's an immersive experience that will delight all your senses. Surrounded by 3,100 ...
Warm Up Winter With These Spiced Lattes
As winter embraces the northern hemisphere, even the tropical paradise of Kauai feels the shift. Here, winter is not marked by snow and ice but by heavy rain, cooler air and water temperatures. Thi...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
2023: A Year of Coffee, Community, and Connection at Kauai Coffee
As the sun sets on another year, we're brewing a cup of reflection and gratitude. Thanks to you, it's been a remarkable year. From the lush fields of our Kauai Estate to your cup, you've made 2023 ...
Discover the Best Hawaiian Coffee for Every Palate
Grown in unique microclimates and nutrient-rich volcanic soil, Hawaiian coffee boasts distinct flavor notes and characteristics that are celebrated worldwide. From crisp citrus and mellow florals t...
Tutu's Coffee and Chocolate Ganache Cake
Nothing embodies the warmth and togetherness of the holiday season more than baking something delicious for your family and friends to enjoy. At Kauai Coffee, we know just how rewarding it is to ma...
How to Make Espresso Without a Machine
For many coffee drinkers, espresso is the ultimate expression of coffee perfection. Even though people widely consume it in the United States and around the world, there is much confusion about wha...