Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake Recipe
October 18th is National Chocolate Cupcake Day, and we're happy to celebrate! Chocolate and coffee are complimentary flavors that bring out the best in each other. The deep, rich, and nutty notes of roasted coffee balance dark chocolate's sweet and bitter flavors for a match made in paradise. Many of our Estate Reserve coffees have naturally chocolatey characteristics, and you can't beat our 100% Kauai Coffee with a hint of Hawaiian flavors like chocolate and vanilla macadamia nut!
Pour a mug of your favorite Kauai Coffee and enjoy it with a sweet treat that celebrates the best of coffee and chocolate with our Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake recipe!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups Kauai Coffee brewed very strong. We recommend McBryde Estate or any Kauai Coffee with chocolate notes.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Coconut Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons canned coconut cream
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and set aside.
- Brew coffee and set it aside to cool.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- Add the eggs, cooled coffee, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated, stir in the sweetened coconut flakes.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners and bake for 14-20 minutes until a wooden skewer poked into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Coconut Buttercream Instructions
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer until it is pale in color and very fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add the coconut cream and a pinch of salt and beat again until the frosting is very airy.
- Frost the cooled mocha cupcakes with the coconut buttercream and dip the frosted side of the cupcake into a bowl filled with sweet, flaked coconut for a decorative appearance.
Related Blog postsView all
Coffee Flavor Profile: Chocolate and Cocoa
Every cup of Hawaiian coffee tells a story, narrated by the intricate symphony of factors that shape its flavor. Much like the celebrated complexity of wine or whisky, the flavor profile of a high-...
How to Grind Coffee Beans Like a Pro
Sipping a delicious cup of coffee in the morning is a delightful ritual for most Americans. From the first whiff of fresh Hawaiian coffee beans wafting from the package to the sounds of your percol...
Coffee for Two: Valentine’s Day Recipes
Being in the coffee business, we know a thing or two about love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships beg...
4 Easy Ways to Brew Hawaiian Coffee: Your Guide to a Perfect Cup
Imagine starting your day with a barista-quality cup of coffee brewed quickly and effortlessly in your own kitchen. At Kauai Coffee, we believe indulging in a perfect cup of Hawaiian coffee should ...
Behind the Beans: A Virtual Visit to Kauai Coffee
Nestled on the sun-kissed South Shore of Kauai, the Kauai Coffee Visitor Center is more than just an attraction; it's an immersive experience that will delight all your senses. Surrounded by 3,100 ...
Warm Up Winter With These Spiced Lattes
As winter embraces the northern hemisphere, even the tropical paradise of Kauai feels the shift. Here, winter is not marked by snow and ice but by heavy rain, cooler air and water temperatures. Thi...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
2023: A Year of Coffee, Community, and Connection at Kauai Coffee
As the sun sets on another year, we're brewing a cup of reflection and gratitude. Thanks to you, it's been a remarkable year. From the lush fields of our Kauai Estate to your cup, you've made 2023 ...
Discover the Best Hawaiian Coffee for Every Palate
Grown in unique microclimates and nutrient-rich volcanic soil, Hawaiian coffee boasts distinct flavor notes and characteristics that are celebrated worldwide. From crisp citrus and mellow florals t...
Tutu's Coffee and Chocolate Ganache Cake
Nothing embodies the warmth and togetherness of the holiday season more than baking something delicious for your family and friends to enjoy. At Kauai Coffee, we know just how rewarding it is to ma...
How to Make Espresso Without a Machine
For many coffee drinkers, espresso is the ultimate expression of coffee perfection. Even though people widely consume it in the United States and around the world, there is much confusion about wha...