Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake Recipe
October 18th is National Chocolate Cupcake Day, and we're happy to celebrate! Chocolate and coffee are complimentary flavors that bring out the best in each other. The deep, rich, and nutty notes of roasted coffee balance dark chocolate's sweet and bitter flavors for a match made in paradise. Many of our Estate Reserve coffees have naturally chocolatey characteristics, and you can't beat our 100% Kauai Coffee with a hint of Hawaiian flavors like chocolate and vanilla macadamia nut!
Pour a mug of your favorite Kauai Coffee and enjoy it with a sweet treat that celebrates the best of coffee and chocolate with our Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake recipe!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups Kauai Coffee brewed very strong. We recommend McBryde Estate or any Kauai Coffee with chocolate notes.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Coconut Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons canned coconut cream
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and set aside.
- Brew coffee and set it aside to cool.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- Add the eggs, cooled coffee, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated, stir in the sweetened coconut flakes.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners and bake for 14-20 minutes until a wooden skewer poked into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Coconut Buttercream Instructions
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer until it is pale in color and very fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add the coconut cream and a pinch of salt and beat again until the frosting is very airy.
- Frost the cooled mocha cupcakes with the coconut buttercream and dip the frosted side of the cupcake into a bowl filled with sweet, flaked coconut for a decorative appearance.
Related Blog postsView all
Whole Bean Vs. Ground Coffee: Which is Right for You?
If you brew coffee at home, you likely start your day with one question – whole bean or ground? In this guide, we're spilling the beans on the difference between the two so you can understand how t...
How Do Coffee Beans Grow?
The 2023 harvest has begun! With the coffee trees full of ripe cherries, now is a great time to go behind-the-scenes and get a look at how coffee beans grow in Hawaii. Find out how our island-grown...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you see peaberry on a coffee shop menu, you might wonder what it is and why it's so expensive. If these questions have crossed your mind, this guide to peaberry coffee is for you. Learn about pe...
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is Back Again!
The calendar may say August, but our hearts say it's pumpkin season, which means Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is back for a limited time! With subtle notes of cinnamon, caramel and pecan one sip will trans...
Vanilla Cinnamon Graham Cracker Latte Recipe
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on ou...
Inaugural Kauai 50 Showcases Unbreakable Spirit and Community Camaraderie
The rugged beauty of Kauai's landscape served as the backdrop for the inaugural Kauai 50, a grueling 50-mile trail race that brought together professional ultra runners and passionate enthusiasts a...
Four Ways to Enjoy Cold Coffee Before Summer Ends
As the summer season winds down, there's still time to savor the refreshing delight of cold coffee. Whether you're a coffee enthusiast or just looking for a cool pick-me-up, Kauai Coffee offers a f...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
Two Mango Coffee Recipes to Savor This Summer
Nothing tastes like summer as much as a ripe, juicy mango. Sweet and tangy, more than 500 varieties of mango grow across the Hawaiian Islands, making it a popular ingredient in summertime pies, cak...
Fair Trade Committee Empowers Island Community with Development Fund Distribution
More than $180,000 Distributed to Community Organizations and Employees Photo: Dennis Fujimoto / The Garden Island As the largest coffee farm in the USA, Kauai Coffee makes waves for growing exce...
Chocolate Macadamia Nut S'mores Latte
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on o...