Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake Recipe
October 18th is National Chocolate Cupcake Day, and we're happy to celebrate! Chocolate and coffee are complimentary flavors that bring out the best in each other. The deep, rich, and nutty notes of roasted coffee balance dark chocolate's sweet and bitter flavors for a match made in paradise. Many of our Estate Reserve coffees have naturally chocolatey characteristics, and you can't beat our 100% Kauai Coffee with a hint of Hawaiian flavors like chocolate and vanilla macadamia nut!
Pour a mug of your favorite Kauai Coffee and enjoy it with a sweet treat that celebrates the best of coffee and chocolate with our Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake recipe!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups Kauai Coffee brewed very strong. We recommend McBryde Estate or any Kauai Coffee with chocolate notes.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Coconut Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons canned coconut cream
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and set aside.
- Brew coffee and set it aside to cool.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- Add the eggs, cooled coffee, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated, stir in the sweetened coconut flakes.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners and bake for 14-20 minutes until a wooden skewer poked into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Coconut Buttercream Instructions
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer until it is pale in color and very fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add the coconut cream and a pinch of salt and beat again until the frosting is very airy.
- Frost the cooled mocha cupcakes with the coconut buttercream and dip the frosted side of the cupcake into a bowl filled with sweet, flaked coconut for a decorative appearance.
Related Blog postsView all
7 Valentine’s Day Coffee Date Ideas
Being in the coffee business, we know something about being in love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships...
Five Reasons to Try a Kauai Coffee Subscription
We often say that caring for your coffee from seed to cup is a labor of love. It may sound cheesy, but it's true. We love that coffee is one of the first things you enjoy in the morning and powers ...
8 Coffee Resolutions for the New Year
The last days of 2022 are numbered, which means many of us are creating goals and resolutions for the New Year. So, instead of hard-to-stick-to diets or plans to finally clean out the garage, we ho...
Kauai Coffee and Holiday Dessert Pairings
Someone once said, "drinking good wine with good food and good company is one of life's greatest pleasures." We certainly agree but drinking exceptional coffee with decadent desserts and outstandin...
What Happens After the Coffee Harvest?
The 2022 harvest is expected to conclude this week, and in a few short months, the first flowers of 2023 will bloom across the farm. While the coffee trees may look like they are taking a break bet...
Eggnog Latte Bundt Cake Recipe
It's the most wonderful time of the year, which means it is also time for the most wonderful treats of the year! From festive beverages to decadent desserts, 100% Kauai Coffee is a versatile accomp...
Send Aloha Anywhere with a Kauai Coffee Gift
The holiday season is here, and while it is a joyous time of year, it can also bring a little added stress. Use these ten tips to take the guesswork out of giving and create thoughtful and thankful...
Nine Holiday Drinks, Dishes and Desserts to Make with Kauai Coffee
The holiday season is here, so it's time to gather around the kitchen table and share a delicious meal with 'ohana and friends. However, planning for any holiday event can be a lot of effort and st...
Meet the 'Ohana Collection
In Hawaii, 'ohana means family. You may have heard that phrase popularized by movies and TV shows, but it is a deeply meaningful word with significance that extends beyond immediate relatives. Embr...
Holiday Coffee is Here!
Get your holiday traditions started early with a taste of paradise! If you're ready to deck the halls and share aloha with your family and friends, the 2022 Kauai Coffee holiday gift guide is here!...
Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake Recipe
October 18th is National Chocolate Cupcake Day, and we're happy to celebrate! Chocolate and coffee are complimentary flavors that bring out the best in each other. The deep, rich, and nutty notes o...