Kauai Coffee Chocolate Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Cake
Rich dark chocolate and Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Kauai Coffee are a perfect pair in this decadent dessert and birthday cake favorite from our blog editor, Tessa M.
Welcome first-time and returning Estate Update readers! I’m Tessa – a Kauai Coffee enthusiast and the editor of the stories and recipes you find on the Kauai Coffee blog every month. I also happen to have a St. Patrick’s Day birthday so I have an excuse to celebrate and indulge in plenty of St. Paddy’s Day themed treats every year.
Birthday cake is serious business at my house thanks to my husband and his family always celebrating the occasion with rich chocolate cake and an old-fashioned, stovetop-made butter and brown sugar icing that is poured warm over the cake. It’s delicious, but for me, nothing says dessert like the combination of chocolate and coffee. So, with the annual release of the Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Style Irish Creme flavored coffee this month I thought there was no better time to blend my favorite cake with my new favorite coffee.
This cake has a rich dark chocolate flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet and pairs perfectly with your favorite icing. To make this an extra special St. Patrick’s Day treat, cover it with the Irish Cream Buttercream frosting recipe below or use your favorite icing instead. Either way, you’ll end up with a delicious treat fit for a St. Paddy’s Day fete!
Ingredients for the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- *Dash of salt, optional
- 1 1/4 cup hot Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Coffee. (Not sure how to brew the perfect cup? Learn how to French Press here)
- 1 1/4 cup plain, Greek yogurt
- 1 block Irish butter, softened* (about two sticks or 16 tablespoons regular butter)
- 3 Eggs
*Irish butter is often salted so there is no need to add any extra salt to the dry ingredients. If you use unsalted butter, you will need to add a dash of salt to your dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 8 or 9-inch baking rounds. Grease the sides and bottom of the dish, line the bottom with parchment paper and then set aside
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and the brewed, hot Hawaiian Irish Creme Kauai Coffee until smooth and well blended.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour and baking soda and optional salt until well incorporated and aerated.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs together until the mixture is smooth and very pale yellow. Reduce the speed of your stand or handheld mixer, and mix in the Greek yogurt and soft butter until well blended. The butter should be very soft and may be microwaved for a few seconds before adding to your batter if it is still firm at room temperature.
- Gently add the flour and baking soda mixture to the wet ingredients followed by the cocoa powder and coffee slurry and mix all ingredients until the batter is smooth and rich brown color.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared baking rounds and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Completely cool the cakes on wire racks before layering and coating with the frosting of your choice. If you prefer a four-layer cake to two, carefully slice the rounds in half horizontally, so you have four thin rounds to stack. If you have unflavored dental floss in your drawer, this works wonders for cutting a cake round evenly! Wrap a piece of floss evenly around the cake and pull the ends in opposite directions until the floss cuts through the cake.
Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting
Cover your Chocolate Hawaiian Irish Creme Cake with an Irish Cream buttercream frosting for a dessert fit for a Saint.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1/4 cup Irish Cream liquor*
- * For an alcohol-free Irish Cream frosting use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of Irish Cream flavored coffee creamer instead.
- In a bowl or stand mixer beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and mix well
- Gently mix in the Irish Cream liquor or coffee creamer to desired texture
- Finish with a dash of salt to taste
- Layer and cover your Chocolate Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Cake and enjoy!
Related Blog postsView all
Kauai Coffee Brewing Method Guide
Hawaiian coffee is known worldwide for its unique flavor and distinct aroma. Our tropical climate, warm temperatures, abundant rainfall, and rich volcanic soil provide the perfect conditions for gr...
7 Valentine’s Day Coffee Date Ideas
Being in the coffee business, we know something about being in love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships...
Five Reasons to Try a Kauai Coffee Subscription
We often say that caring for your coffee from seed to cup is a labor of love. It may sound cheesy, but it's true. We love that coffee is one of the first things you enjoy in the morning and powers ...
8 Coffee Resolutions for the New Year
The last days of 2022 are numbered, which means many of us are creating goals and resolutions for the New Year. So, instead of hard-to-stick-to diets or plans to finally clean out the garage, we ho...
Kauai Coffee and Holiday Dessert Pairings
Someone once said, "drinking good wine with good food and good company is one of life's greatest pleasures." We certainly agree but drinking exceptional coffee with decadent desserts and outstandin...
What Happens After the Coffee Harvest?
The 2022 harvest is expected to conclude this week, and in a few short months, the first flowers of 2023 will bloom across the farm. While the coffee trees may look like they are taking a break bet...
Eggnog Latte Bundt Cake Recipe
It's the most wonderful time of the year, which means it is also time for the most wonderful treats of the year! From festive beverages to decadent desserts, 100% Kauai Coffee is a versatile accomp...
Send Aloha Anywhere with a Kauai Coffee Gift
The holiday season is here, and while it is a joyous time of year, it can also bring a little added stress. Use these ten tips to take the guesswork out of giving and create thoughtful and thankful...
Nine Holiday Drinks, Dishes and Desserts to Make with Kauai Coffee
The holiday season is here, so it's time to gather around the kitchen table and share a delicious meal with 'ohana and friends. However, planning for any holiday event can be a lot of effort and st...
Meet the 'Ohana Collection
In Hawaii, 'ohana means family. You may have heard that phrase popularized by movies and TV shows, but it is a deeply meaningful word with significance that extends beyond immediate relatives. Embr...
Holiday Coffee is Here!
Get your holiday traditions started early with a taste of paradise! If you're ready to deck the halls and share aloha with your family and friends, the 2022 Kauai Coffee holiday gift guide is here!...