Kauai Coffee Chocolate Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Cake
Rich dark chocolate and Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Kauai Coffee are a perfect pair in this decadent dessert and birthday cake favorite from our blog editor, Tessa M.
Welcome first-time and returning Estate Update readers! I’m Tessa – a Kauai Coffee enthusiast and the editor of the stories and recipes you find on the Kauai Coffee blog every month. I also happen to have a St. Patrick’s Day birthday so I have an excuse to celebrate and indulge in plenty of St. Paddy’s Day themed treats every year.
Birthday cake is serious business at my house thanks to my husband and his family always celebrating the occasion with rich chocolate cake and an old-fashioned, stovetop-made butter and brown sugar icing that is poured warm over the cake. It’s delicious, but for me, nothing says dessert like the combination of chocolate and coffee. So, with the annual release of the Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Style Irish Creme flavored coffee this month I thought there was no better time to blend my favorite cake with my new favorite coffee.
This cake has a rich dark chocolate flavor without being overwhelmingly sweet and pairs perfectly with your favorite icing. To make this an extra special St. Patrick’s Day treat, cover it with the Irish Cream Buttercream frosting recipe below or use your favorite icing instead. Either way, you’ll end up with a delicious treat fit for a St. Paddy’s Day fete!
Ingredients for the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- *Dash of salt, optional
- 1 1/4 cup hot Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Coffee. (Not sure how to brew the perfect cup? Learn how to French Press here)
- 1 1/4 cup plain, Greek yogurt
- 1 block Irish butter, softened* (about two sticks or 16 tablespoons regular butter)
- 3 Eggs
*Irish butter is often salted so there is no need to add any extra salt to the dry ingredients. If you use unsalted butter, you will need to add a dash of salt to your dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 8 or 9-inch baking rounds. Grease the sides and bottom of the dish, line the bottom with parchment paper and then set aside
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and the brewed, hot Hawaiian Irish Creme Kauai Coffee until smooth and well blended.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour and baking soda and optional salt until well incorporated and aerated.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs together until the mixture is smooth and very pale yellow. Reduce the speed of your stand or handheld mixer, and mix in the Greek yogurt and soft butter until well blended. The butter should be very soft and may be microwaved for a few seconds before adding to your batter if it is still firm at room temperature.
- Gently add the flour and baking soda mixture to the wet ingredients followed by the cocoa powder and coffee slurry and mix all ingredients until the batter is smooth and rich brown color.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared baking rounds and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Completely cool the cakes on wire racks before layering and coating with the frosting of your choice. If you prefer a four-layer cake to two, carefully slice the rounds in half horizontally, so you have four thin rounds to stack. If you have unflavored dental floss in your drawer, this works wonders for cutting a cake round evenly! Wrap a piece of floss evenly around the cake and pull the ends in opposite directions until the floss cuts through the cake.
Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting
Cover your Chocolate Hawaiian Irish Creme Cake with an Irish Cream buttercream frosting for a dessert fit for a Saint.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1/4 cup Irish Cream liquor*
- * For an alcohol-free Irish Cream frosting use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of Irish Cream flavored coffee creamer instead.
- In a bowl or stand mixer beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and mix well
- Gently mix in the Irish Cream liquor or coffee creamer to desired texture
- Finish with a dash of salt to taste
- Layer and cover your Chocolate Hawaiian Style Irish Creme Cake and enjoy!
Related Blog postsView all
The Best Flavored Coffee Comes From Kauai
Preparing a cup of coffee just the way you like it is one of life's simple pleasures. From the scent of freshly roasted beans to the buzz of the grinder and the gentle drip of java hitting the pot,...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you’ve walked into your local coffee shop and seen peaberry on the menu, you may be wondering what it is and why it can be one of the most expensive items available. If these questions have cros...
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is Back!
The calendar may say September, but our hearts say it's time for a taste of the holidays in Hawai'i! 100% Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is back! Order online now to get our smooth and delicious...
From Coffee Farm to Front Door
Have you ever reached for your morning cup of coffee and wondered how it got from the farm to your mug? It's a journey that takes years from seed to cup. Discover what it takes to grow coffee in Ha...
Hang on to Summer with Paradise Mango Coffee
Even though the new school year is getting underway, and fall is around the corner, we're not quite ready to see summer go. If you're feeling the same way, savor the last leg of summer with a taste...
Medium Roast Coffee Guide
Roasting transforms fresh coffee beans into the fragrant and delicious coffee you grind and brew daily. Light, medium, and dark are the most common words used to describe coffee roast profiles, but...
10 Things You Didn't Know About Kauai Coffee
How well do you know Kauai Coffee? Test your knowledge with these ten fun facts. You'll learn everything from our sweet beginnings to the varietals we grow and the unique custom art you can find at...
How to Cold Brew Coffee Like a Pro (and 4 recipes to try right now!)
Summer is here and so is cold brew coffee-sipping season! As temperatures soar, nothing is more refreshing than an ice-cold 100% Hawaiian coffee to cool you down. We love cold brew coffee so much w...
Bright and Citrusy Coffees that Taste Like Summer
It's officially summer and the season of all things light and refreshing! With temperatures rising, it's no wonder citrusy coffee drinks are trending on social media and coffee shops around the cou...
7 Interesting Facts About Hawaiian Coffee
Rich, alluring, unique – these are just a few words you can use to describe a piping hot cup of Hawaiian coffee. With temperate weather, ideal growing conditions, and a broad range of tasting notes...
No-Churn Kauai Coffee Ice Cream Cake
Summer is almost here, but temperatures are already on the rise nationwide. That means it's time to enjoy your coffee on the cooler side! Whether you like to cold brew your coffee or serve your esp...