Coffee Lover’s Date Night Three Course Menu
Drinks and AppetizersNo date night meal is complete without a first course. Wow your loved one with a smooth and rich espresso martini and savory coffee crackers paired with a selection of aged cheeses.
Espresso Martini - Makes two servings
- 4 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Koloa Kauai Coffee Rum
- 2 ounces Kauai Coffee Poipu Estate Espresso Roast, brewed and chilled
- Ice for shaker
- Optional: one ounce simple syrup or macadamia nut syrup for additional sweetness and flavor
- Add the vodka, Koloa Kauai Coffee Rum, Poipu Estate Espresso Roast Coffee, and optional syrup into a martini shaker with ice.
- Shake the ingredients vigorously until well chilled
- Strain into two chilled cocktail or martini glasses. Serve over ice if desired.
Savory Coffee Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick cooking flaked oats or oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons Kauai Coffee, brewed and chilled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8th teaspoon each of flaky sea salt, black pepper, and finely ground coffee to garnish crackers before baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine flour, oats, and seasoning in a large mixing bowl
- Cut in the cold, cubed butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture is the texture of coarse sand
- Add brewed Kauai Coffee and honey and gently knead until dough forms
- Sprinkle flour onto a work surface and roll out dough to 1/8th of an inch. The thinner the cracker, the crisper it will be
- Cut out desired shapes with a cookie cutter or knife; we like a scallop-edge cookie cutter, sprinkle a pinch of the salt, pepper, and ground coffee garnish over the crackers, and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes. Less time may be required for thinner crackers, so watch them carefully while baking
- Cool crackers completely and enjoy with a selection of aged cheeses and charcuterie. Parmesan, asiago, and aged cheddar are delicious with these savory coffee crackers
Main CourseLet the coffee courses continue! Delight your love with a salad of fresh vegetables dressed in Kauai Coffee vinaigrette and slow cooked coffee-braised short ribs.
Kauai Coffee Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp. strong Kauai Coffee (brewed)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Hawaiian sea salt and pepper to taste
- Brew one cup of strong Kauai Coffee. Reserve two tablespoons and enjoy the rest! We recommend using any Kauai Cold Brew you have on hand or a robust dark roast like the Estate Reserve Mundo Novo Dark Roast
- Add garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, pomegranate juice, coffee, mustard, salt, and pepper to the bowl and whisk vigorously until dressing comes together.
- Serve over a fresh green salad or grilled vegetables. Extra dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
Kauai Coffee Braised Short Ribs
- 4 pounds, bone-in, English cut (2-3 inches thick) short ribs
- 1 cup Kauai Coffee, brewed
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh red chiles, seeded to taste (Fresno, Hawaiian or Thai chilies work well)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons dried chili powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Turn on the slow cooker and set it to the high setting
- Add chopped onion, red pepper, garlic, Hawaiian chili, ancho chili powder, honey, and apple cider vinegar to a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth and combined.
- Pat ribs dry and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet until shimmery and brown ribs in batches (about 4 minutes per batch).
- Once seared, place short ribs into the slow cooker and pour the sauce from the blender into the hot pan used to sear the ribs. Be careful as some splattering can occur.
- Cook the pureed sauce over medium heat, occasionally stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add the brewed coffee and beef stock to the sauce and bring it to a gentle boil and reduce slightly
- Pour sauce over the seared ribs in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 3.5 to 4 hours or until fork-tender
Date night dinners are all about dessert, and nothing makes it more delicious than fresh, island-grown coffee. This elegant and easy affogato requires no baking and can be made with your favorite ice cream or gelato for a custom treat your loved one will adore.
Kauai Coffee Affogato - makes two servings
- 4 scoops vanilla bean gelato (or your personal favorite!)
- 2 ounces Kauai Coffee, brewed as an espresso
- Fill two chilled glasses with two scoops of gelato each
- Pour one ounce of freshly brewed Kauai Coffee over the gelato in each glass and enjoy!
Kauai Coffee Date Night Menu Recommendations
Not sure which coffees to try with each recipe? Here are a few suggestions, Espresso martini: Poipu Estate Espresso Roast or Chocolate Macadamia Nut - subtly sweet and nutty pairs well with the coffee rum!
Savory coffee crackers: Rooster Alarm - the rich, bold, sweet molasses and malty finish complements the savory and slightly oat-y biscuit texture of the crackers
Affogato: Polihale Sunset - Sweet and bright with subtle hints of baker’s cocoa and vanilla bean
Related Blog postsView all
Whole Bean Vs. Ground Coffee: Which is Right for You?
If you brew coffee at home, you likely start your day with one question – whole bean or ground? In this guide, we're spilling the beans on the difference between the two so you can understand how t...
How Do Coffee Beans Grow?
The 2023 harvest has begun! With the coffee trees full of ripe cherries, now is a great time to go behind-the-scenes and get a look at how coffee beans grow in Hawaii. Find out how our island-grown...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you see peaberry on a coffee shop menu, you might wonder what it is and why it's so expensive. If these questions have crossed your mind, this guide to peaberry coffee is for you. Learn about pe...
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is Back Again!
The calendar may say August, but our hearts say it's pumpkin season, which means Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is back for a limited time! With subtle notes of cinnamon, caramel and pecan one sip will trans...
Vanilla Cinnamon Graham Cracker Latte Recipe
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on ou...
Inaugural Kauai 50 Showcases Unbreakable Spirit and Community Camaraderie
The rugged beauty of Kauai's landscape served as the backdrop for the inaugural Kauai 50, a grueling 50-mile trail race that brought together professional ultra runners and passionate enthusiasts a...
Four Ways to Enjoy Cold Coffee Before Summer Ends
As the summer season winds down, there's still time to savor the refreshing delight of cold coffee. Whether you're a coffee enthusiast or just looking for a cool pick-me-up, Kauai Coffee offers a f...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
Two Mango Coffee Recipes to Savor This Summer
Nothing tastes like summer as much as a ripe, juicy mango. Sweet and tangy, more than 500 varieties of mango grow across the Hawaiian Islands, making it a popular ingredient in summertime pies, cak...
Fair Trade Committee Empowers Island Community with Development Fund Distribution
More than $180,000 Distributed to Community Organizations and Employees Photo: Dennis Fujimoto / The Garden Island As the largest coffee farm in the USA, Kauai Coffee makes waves for growing exce...
Chocolate Macadamia Nut S'mores Latte
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on o...