4 Ways to Become a More Conscious Coffee Consumer
Buy Sustainably Farmed CoffeeSustainability is a widely-used term today, but with all of its definitions, it can be confusing to know what sustainability means when it comes to the coffee in your cup. At Kauai Coffee, sustainability isn't just a buzzword. We are committed to growing coffee in a way that conserves natural resources and provides a safe, healthy, and positive work environment for everyone involved in its production. Our coffee is grown using efficient drip irrigation that reduces water resources. We also produce nearly 4 million pounds of coffee cherry compost each year that is applied on the farm as a soil nutrient and use cover crops to reduce weeds and herbicide use naturally.
Know Your CertificationsWhen you buy coffee from a local shop or grocery, looking for products that display their commitment to sustainability and the environment on the package will help you be a conscious coffee connoisseur. Kauai Coffee is the first and only coffee locally-grown in Hawaii to be triple certified by leading sustainability advocates. Harvest begins in September, and when our newest coffee hits shelves in 2020, you'll see the following badges on our packaging. Here is what they mean:
- Fair Trade Certified: Goods that are Fair Trade Certified provide safe working conditions and sustainable livelihoods while protecting the environment and giving back to the communities where coffee is cultivated.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified: The Rainforest Alliance certified seal stands for efficient farm management that reduces soil erosion, water use, pollution, and waste while also protecting wildlife and reducing threats to the environment and human health.
- Non GMO Project: The Non GMO Project verification program is North America's most rigorous third-party verification for non-GMO food and products.
Trace Your Supply ChainFor most coffee products, the supply chain is incredibly complex. From farming and harvesting to processing, roasting, and distributing, your coffee may be handled by numerous companies throughout the supply chain. Because of this complexity, it's hard to know if each step your coffee takes before it hits your cup contributes positively to global sustainability efforts. Food chain traceability and knowing where your coffee comes from is essential to being a conscious coffee drinker. Kauai Coffee Company is an authentic Hawaiian coffee estate which means every step of making your coffee from growth to packaging happens on our watch. We can trace the coffee in each bag of 100% Kauai Coffee to when and where it came from on our 3,000-acre farm. Here is how we do it:
- Harvesters log the field number and variety for each truckload of coffee cherry brought in to the factory.
- Once a truckload is pulped and ready to be dried, the field number and variety is logged with each dryer batch.
- Once dried, parchment coffee is unloaded into crates which are weighed and tagged with the date, dryer batch number, field number, and variety.
- In the dry milling process, approximately 60 crates of parchment coffee are loaded at a time and assigned a process number.
- After dry milling, green coffee is packaged into 100-lb. burlap bags and assigned a batch number along with the date, field number, and variety.
- All green coffee is inspected by the State Department of Agriculture and assigned a State Lot Number which is then stamped on each burlap bag.
- Green beans are brought to the roast plant and lot numbers, variety, and quantities are verified and added to a daily log before roasting.
- Kauai Coffee packaging bags are tracked by serial number or assigned lot numbers, and that information is printed on the bottom of the bag.
Buy Local and be an Advocate for ChangeEven if you don't live in Hawaii when you purchase 100% Kauai Coffee from kauaicoffee.com, you are supporting a local community and economy with your purchase. Kauai Coffee is the largest coffee grower in the USA, and we are proud to provide exceptional Hawaiian coffee for you and your family. You can help others be conscious coffee consumers. Share Kauai Coffee and our commitment to sustainability with your family and friends. Ask your local shops and restaurants about where their coffee comes from and support organizations that are leading the global sustainability movement such as the Sustainable Coffee Challenge, Non GMO Project, Rainforest Alliance, and Fair Trade Certified.
Related Blog postsView all
Kauai Coffee Brewing Method Guide
Hawaiian coffee is known worldwide for its unique flavor and distinct aroma. Our tropical climate, warm temperatures, abundant rainfall, and rich volcanic soil provide the perfect conditions for gr...
7 Valentine’s Day Coffee Date Ideas
Being in the coffee business, we know something about being in love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships...
Five Reasons to Try a Kauai Coffee Subscription
We often say that caring for your coffee from seed to cup is a labor of love. It may sound cheesy, but it's true. We love that coffee is one of the first things you enjoy in the morning and powers ...
8 Coffee Resolutions for the New Year
The last days of 2022 are numbered, which means many of us are creating goals and resolutions for the New Year. So, instead of hard-to-stick-to diets or plans to finally clean out the garage, we ho...
Kauai Coffee and Holiday Dessert Pairings
Someone once said, "drinking good wine with good food and good company is one of life's greatest pleasures." We certainly agree but drinking exceptional coffee with decadent desserts and outstandin...
What Happens After the Coffee Harvest?
The 2022 harvest is expected to conclude this week, and in a few short months, the first flowers of 2023 will bloom across the farm. While the coffee trees may look like they are taking a break bet...
Eggnog Latte Bundt Cake Recipe
It's the most wonderful time of the year, which means it is also time for the most wonderful treats of the year! From festive beverages to decadent desserts, 100% Kauai Coffee is a versatile accomp...
Send Aloha Anywhere with a Kauai Coffee Gift
The holiday season is here, and while it is a joyous time of year, it can also bring a little added stress. Use these ten tips to take the guesswork out of giving and create thoughtful and thankful...
Nine Holiday Drinks, Dishes and Desserts to Make with Kauai Coffee
The holiday season is here, so it's time to gather around the kitchen table and share a delicious meal with 'ohana and friends. However, planning for any holiday event can be a lot of effort and st...
Meet the 'Ohana Collection
In Hawaii, 'ohana means family. You may have heard that phrase popularized by movies and TV shows, but it is a deeply meaningful word with significance that extends beyond immediate relatives. Embr...
Holiday Coffee is Here!
Get your holiday traditions started early with a taste of paradise! If you're ready to deck the halls and share aloha with your family and friends, the 2022 Kauai Coffee holiday gift guide is here!...