One thing we love about coffee is that you can find unique ways of growing and consuming it just about anywhere you go in the world. According to the International Coffee Organization, about 1.4 billion cups are consumed worldwide every day! That’s a lot of java and nearly endless ways to enjoy it.
One of our social media contributors recently returned from a trip to Thailand and came back with a craving for the bold, sweet, and refreshing Thai iced coffee sold from street carts throughout the country. Made from a brew of roasted coffee, soy, and sometimes corn, Thai coffee is strong and dark with a deep roasted and nutty flavor. It is served over ice with sweetened condensed milk and often sprinkled with cardamom or other aromatic spices for a decadent treat.
Try this coffee recipe inspired by traditional Thai iced coffee with your favorite Kauai Coffee and tell us other globally-inspired ways you enjoy preparing your daily brew on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter!
Makes two servings
- 2 cups strong Kauai Coffee, brewed
- 1/2 cup of ginger-infused, sweetened condensed milk (recipe below)
- 2 16oz. cups filled with ice
- 2 – 4 tablespoons evaporated milk or heavy cream (optional)
- Brew two cups of your favorite Kauai Coffee. We recommend a dark roast and brewing with a French press or drip method. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of ground coffee than you usually would for a bolder, richer flavor.
- Mix brewed coffee with 1/4 cup of the ginger-infused sweetened condensed milk and stir until dissolved.
- Refrigerate the coffee and condensed milk mixture until cool.
- Fill two 16oz. cups with ice and pour cooled coffee over ice. Top with heavy cream or evaporated milk and enjoy!
Ginger-infused sweetened condensed milk
Any store-bought sweetened condensed milk will work in this Thai-inspired recipe, but the addition of cardamom and other aromatic spices to the beverages sold from bustling carts across Thailand makes the coffee even more delectable. Making your own sweetened condensed milk infused with spices commonly grown in Hawaii is easy and will add another level of flavor to your beverage.
- 2 cups whole milk or full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- Add milk, sugar, and ginger to a small saucepan
- Heat on low until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium and gently simmer for 30 minutes or until the milk has thickened.
- Once reduced, pour milk through a fine strainer to remove ginger and into a glass jar or container.
- Refrigerate until cool, and use it in your favorite coffee beverages. Condensed milk will keep well in the refrigerator for up to a month.