Coconut Caramel Crunch Coffee Cake
IngredientsFor the caramel crumble filling/topping:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter roughly chopped into chunks
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup caramel-coated macadamia nuts, chopped (see caramel recipe below)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Coconut Caramel Crunch Kauai Coffee, cooled.
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Make the caramel-coated macadamia nuts: Melt the butter, sugar, and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat, add chopped macadamia nuts, and stir to coat.
- Spread the coated macadamia nuts onto a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, roughly chop again to break up large clusters.
Make the crumble filling/topping: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter, toasted coconut, and caramel-coated macadamia nuts.
- Gently mix ingredients with your hands until the texture resembles Kauai beach sand. Place in refrigerator until cake is ready to top.
Make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish or bundt pan that is at least 4 inches deep.
- In a bowl or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Beat eggs into mixture one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with the sour cream and coffee.
- Gently fold in the shredded coconut into the batter until it is well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle half of the crunchy topping on top.
- Layer in the remaining batter and top with more crumble.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you are using a shallow 9x13 baking dish, check the cake at 30 or 40 minutes.
- Serve with a cup of your favorite 100% Kauai Coffee and enjoy!
Related Blog postsView all
Send Aloha Anywhere with a Kauai Coffee Gift
The holiday season is here, and while it is a joyous time of year, it can also bring a little added stress. Use these ten tips to take the guesswork out of giving and create thoughtful and thankful...
Nine Holiday Drinks, Dishes and Desserts to Make with Kauai Coffee
The holiday season is here, so it's time to gather around the kitchen table and share a delicious meal with 'ohana and friends. However, planning for any holiday event can be a lot of effort and st...
Meet the 'Ohana Collection
In Hawaii, 'ohana means family. You may have heard that phrase popularized by movies and TV shows, but it is a deeply meaningful word with significance that extends beyond immediate relatives. Embr...
Holiday Coffee is Here!
Get your holiday traditions started early with a taste of paradise! If you're ready to deck the halls and share aloha with your family and friends, the 2022 Kauai Coffee holiday gift guide is here!...
Chocolate, Coffee and Coconut Cupcake Recipe
October 18th is National Chocolate Cupcake Day, and we're happy to celebrate! Chocolate and coffee are complimentary flavors that bring out the best in each other. The deep, rich, and nutty notes o...
10 Fascinating Facts About the Kauai Coffee Harvest
It's that time of year once again – the cherries are ripe, and the 2022 harvest has begun at Kauai Coffee. With more than four million coffee trees growing on 3,100 acres, the annual coffee harvest...
The Best Flavored Coffee Comes From Kauai
Preparing a cup of coffee just the way you like it is one of life's simple pleasures. From the scent of freshly roasted beans to the buzz of the grinder and the gentle drip of java hitting the pot,...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you’ve walked into your local coffee shop and seen peaberry on the menu, you may be wondering what it is and why it can be one of the most expensive items available. If these questions have cros...
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is Back!
The calendar may say September, but our hearts say it's time for a taste of the holidays in Hawai'i! 100% Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is back! Order online now to get our smooth and delicious...
From Coffee Farm to Front Door
Have you ever reached for your morning cup of coffee and wondered how it got from the farm to your mug? It's a journey that takes years from seed to cup. Discover what it takes to grow coffee in Ha...
Hang on to Summer with Paradise Mango Coffee
Even though the new school year is getting underway, and fall is around the corner, we're not quite ready to see summer go. If you're feeling the same way, savor the last leg of summer with a taste...