Coconut Caramel Crunch Coffee Cake
IngredientsFor the caramel crumble filling/topping:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter roughly chopped into chunks
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup caramel-coated macadamia nuts, chopped (see caramel recipe below)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Coconut Caramel Crunch Kauai Coffee, cooled.
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Make the caramel-coated macadamia nuts: Melt the butter, sugar, and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat, add chopped macadamia nuts, and stir to coat.
- Spread the coated macadamia nuts onto a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, roughly chop again to break up large clusters.
Make the crumble filling/topping: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter, toasted coconut, and caramel-coated macadamia nuts.
- Gently mix ingredients with your hands until the texture resembles Kauai beach sand. Place in refrigerator until cake is ready to top.
Make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish or bundt pan that is at least 4 inches deep.
- In a bowl or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Beat eggs into mixture one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with the sour cream and coffee.
- Gently fold in the shredded coconut into the batter until it is well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle half of the crunchy topping on top.
- Layer in the remaining batter and top with more crumble.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you are using a shallow 9x13 baking dish, check the cake at 30 or 40 minutes.
- Serve with a cup of your favorite 100% Kauai Coffee and enjoy!
Related Blog postsView all
Tutu's Coffee and Chocolate Ganache Cake
Nothing embodies the warmth and togetherness of the holiday season more than baking something delicious for your family and friends to enjoy. At Kauai Coffee, we know just how rewarding it is to ma...
How to Make Espresso Without a Machine
For many coffee drinkers, espresso is the ultimate expression of coffee perfection. Even though people widely consume it in the United States and around the world, there is much confusion about wha...
Our Coffee Starts with Kindness
November 13 is World Kindness Day. As the trade winds begin to cool and our harvest season winds down, now is a good time to reflect on what it means to cultivate coffee with kindness. At Kauai Cof...
Scary Good Halloween Treats You Can Make with Kauai Coffee
How do you make coffee for a ghost? Add a little scream and sugar! Halloween is almost here, and we couldn't resist sharing a little ghoulish giggle along with these scary good Halloween treats yo...
Kauai Coffee Sale and Visitor Donations Raise $31,000 for Maui Wildfire Relief Efforts
At Kauai Coffee Company, we've always believed in the power of coffee to bring people together. This National Coffee Day, we channeled that belief into action by launching a special sale and collec...
Brew Like a Roast Master
Is there anything that smells or tastes better than freshly roasted coffee? We think not! Roasting is both an art and a science that takes years to master. Our roast masters are the innovators resp...
Kauai Coffee Brewing Guide: Pour Over Method
If you're a coffee enthusiast and appreciate the rich flavors of 100% Hawaiian coffee, you're in for a treat! This comprehensive guide explores the art of brewing your favorite Kauai Coffee using t...
What does Fair Trade Certification™ Mean?
October is Fair Trade Month and a great time to learn more about what Fair Trade Certification™ really means for your favorite businesses and products. At Kauai Coffee, our commitment to sustainabi...
Whole Bean Vs. Ground Coffee: Which is Right for You?
If you brew coffee at home, you likely start your day with one question – whole bean or ground? In this guide, we're spilling the beans on the difference between the two so you can understand how t...
How Do Coffee Beans Grow?
The 2023 harvest has begun! With the coffee trees full of ripe cherries, now is a great time to go behind-the-scenes and get a look at how coffee beans grow in Hawaii. Find out how our island-grown...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you see peaberry on a coffee shop menu, you might wonder what it is and why it's so expensive. If these questions have crossed your mind, this guide to peaberry coffee is for you. Learn about pe...