Five Coconut and Coffee Recipes to Try Right Now
It’s a busy time of year with holidays, graduation celebrations, and weddings popping back up on the social calendar. Pair those events with the everyday demands of work, school, and family, and it may feel like a vacation will never arrive. So if you need an instant mini break, make one of these coconut and coffee treats with your favorite Kauai Coffee, and your taste buds will instantly transport you to paradise!
Coconut Flavored Coffee and Nutty Undertones
The first step to making any of the following coconut coffees is to have coconut syrup, coconut milk, and Kauai Coffee on hand. Use 100% Kauai Coffee Coconut Caramel Crunch for maximum coconutty flavor in your recipes. For a coffee with subtle nutty undertones that will pair well with coconut milk and syrup, we recommend our Estate Reserve Mundo Novo, Kauai Sunrise, Kauai Breeze, and Kalaheo Estate.
Tropical Toasted Coconut Syrup Recipe
This tropical coconut syrup will add island flavor to all of your favorite coffee beverages. Make a batch and store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Equal parts unsweetened coconut flakes, water, and granulated sugar. One cup of each ingredient should yield about 8 ounces of syrup, depending on how long it simmers and reduces.
- Add one cup of coconut flakes to a medium saucepan and toast over medium heat until flakes begin to turn golden brown.
- Add one cup of granulated sugar and one cup of water to the toasted coconut flakes.
- Heat the coconut flakes, water, and syrup over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to simmer.
- Let the syrup gently simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the heat and let stand for up to 20 minutes.
- Strain the toasted coconut from the syrup through a cheese cloth or a fine strainer and store the remaining liquid in a sealed jar or bottle. Reserve the toasted coconut flakes for use in the coconut-infused cold brew recipe below.
Notes: Depending on the type of coconut flakes you use, you may need to squeeze the coconut in the cheesecloth or fine strainer to release all of the syrup. Once refrigerated you may see a layer of coconut oil settle on top of the syrup. Simply discard with a spoon reserve for cooking or baking if desired.
Iced Coconut Latte
A summer classic, this recipe makes one large latte or two small lattes
- 4 ounces freshly brewed Kauai Coffee
- 12 ounces coconut milk, divided
- Ice to preference
- Coconut syrup optional
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract optional
- Fill tall glass or jar with cubed or crushed ice.
- Pour 10 ounces of coconut milk into the glass.
- Brew 2.5 ounces of Kauai Coffee. A little bit less if you use an espresso machine or AeroPress and pour over ice and milk in the glass.
- Add the remaining two ounces of coconut milk and vanilla extract to a milk frother or shaker and whip to desired consistency. Top Iced coconut latte with coconut milk foam, and enjoy!
Coconut-Infused Cold Brew
Summer in a glass, this recipe makes one pitcher of cold brew concentrate.
Ingredients and tools
- 10 oz. bag of Kauai Coffee Cold Brew
- Reserved toasted coconut from syrup recipe or 1/2 cup fresh coconut flakes
- Cheesecloth or herb sachet
- In a pitcher, combine a ratio of 3/4 cup of 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew or your favorite coarsely ground Kauai Coffee beans to every 25 oz. (3+ cups) of cold water.
- Wrap coconut flakes in cheesecloth or herb sachet and drop them into the pitcher to infuse the coffee.
- Gently stir the coffee, cover, and place in the refrigerator to steep for 12 to 16 hours.
- After steeping, remove the coconut sachet, line a strainer with a coffee filter, and slowly filter the cold brew concentrate into another container.
- Pour 1.5 to 2.5 ounces of concentrate over ice and add water or milk to your liking. Store the remaining concentrate in your refrigerator for 7-10 days.
Coconut Espresso Martini
Add a little aloha to happy hour. This recipe makes two cocktails.
- 4 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Koloa Kauai Coffee Rum
- 2 ounces Kauai Coffee brewed and chilled
- Ice for shaker
- 1 ounce toasted coconut syrup
- Add the vodka, Koloa Kauai Coffee Rum, Poipu Estate Espresso Roast Coffee, and optional syrup into a martini shaker with ice.
- Shake the ingredients vigorously until well chilled
- Strain into two chilled cocktail or martini glasses. Serve over ice if desired.
Whipped Coffee with Coconut Milk
This recipe is a tropical take on the viral sensation and makes one beverage.
- 2 tablespoons concentrated Kauai Coffee or one shot prepared with an espresso machine or Aeropress.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- 8 to 10 ounces coconut milk
- To make a whipped coffee with Kauai Coffee, first, you need to brew a very strong coffee. We were successful with several methods, but brewing with an espresso machine yielded the richest result. French Press and drip methods will also work, but you will need to reduce the coffee further after brewing. If you can brew with an espresso machine, skip to step three.
- If you brew with a French Press or drip method, prepare one strong cup and then make a coffee concentrate by simmering the coffee in a shallow saucepan over medium heat until it has reduced by half.
- Once your espresso shot or coffee concentrate is ready, combine two tablespoons of the hot brew with two tablespoons of granulated sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl. Cream of tartar is a common baking ingredient and acts as a stabilizer in meringues and other whipped cream desserts.
- Now for the fun part – whip it! Use a stand mixer, hand mixer, or good old whisk to whip the coffee, sugar, and cream of tartar together. The more air you can whip into the sugar and coffee, the more fluffy and luxurious your coffee foam will become. If you are using a whisk, be patient. Your coffee will get silky and frothy, but you may not get the same volume as a mechanical mixer. It will be delicious no matter which mixing method you use.
- Fill a clear glass with ice and pour in one serving of coconut milk. Spoon the whipped coffee over the milk and sip to enjoy!
Kauai Coffee Coconut Caramel Crunch Straight Up
Last but not least, Kauai Coffee is delicious no matter how you prefer to prepare it! Brew a cup of Coconut Caramel Crunch with your drip brewer or French Press for a decadent treat you don’t need milk, sugar, or other additions to enjoy.
Shop for Coconut Caramel Crunch and all of our 100% Hawaiian Coffees online now.
Related Blog postsView all
What is Blue Mountain Coffee?
When it comes to the most sought-after types of coffee, the Jamaican Blue Mountain varietal is often placed at the top of the list because it is one of the world's rarest and most expensive coffees...
Everything You Need to Know About Decaf Coffee
Caffeine is a naturally occurring stimulant found in the leaves, seeds, and fruit of many plant species, including coffee. If you're a part of the 83% of US adults that enjoy starting the day with...
Homemade Irish Coffee Creamer
It's our favorite time of year once again! The rainy season is on its way out, the coffee orchard is about to bloom, and the newest crop of coffee will burst onto branches soon! Of course, it's als...
All About Coffee Flowers
Coffee comes from a pretty spectacular plant. Not just because it produces the wonderful little seed that makes our favorite beverage, but also because it is a beautiful flowering tree that erupts ...
Chocolate Coffee Cake with Coconut Crumble
Who says cake isn't breakfast food? Not us! In fact, this often gloomy time of year between winter and spring is the perfect time to enjoy a rich, warm, and decadent slice of cake with your morning...
Why Kauai Coffee is one of the Best Hawaiian Coffees You Can Buy
Coffee lovers worldwide recognize Hawaiian coffee as some of the best money can buy, but did you know that coffee is grown in several distinct regions throughout the state? Kona may be the most wel...
Kauai Coffee Brewing Method Guide
Hawaiian coffee is known worldwide for its unique flavor and distinct aroma. Our tropical climate, warm temperatures, abundant rainfall, and rich volcanic soil provide the perfect conditions for gr...
7 Valentine’s Day Coffee Date Ideas
Being in the coffee business, we know something about being in love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships...
Five Reasons to Try a Kauai Coffee Subscription
We often say that caring for your coffee from seed to cup is a labor of love. It may sound cheesy, but it's true. We love that coffee is one of the first things you enjoy in the morning and powers ...
8 Coffee Resolutions for the New Year
The last days of 2022 are numbered, which means many of us are creating goals and resolutions for the New Year. So, instead of hard-to-stick-to diets or plans to finally clean out the garage, we ho...
Kauai Coffee and Holiday Dessert Pairings
Someone once said, "drinking good wine with good food and good company is one of life's greatest pleasures." We certainly agree but drinking exceptional coffee with decadent desserts and outstandin...