Kauai Coffee Cold Brew Recipe with Lilikoi Cold Foam
What is Cold Brew CoffeeCold brew coffee is made by steeping grounds in cold water for 12-24 hours. You can make cold brew from any coffee bean or roast, but a medium coarse grind is preferred for best results. If you plan to serve your cold brew coffee with dairy or non-dairy creamer, you might select a dark roast to balance the sweetness of the milk. On the other hand, if you prefer your cold brew without creamer or sweeteners, a medium roast may be the right choice for you. Experimenting with your favorite beans, roasts, and flavors is what makes learning how to cold brew coffee enjoyable!
How is Cold Brew Different from Iced Coffee?Cold brew coffee and iced coffee are made using different brewing methods. Iced coffee is brewed with hot water, cooled, and then served over ice. Brewing the same coffee with hot or cold methods will result in different flavors and mouthfeel because the chemical compounds that make up the flavors and aromas of coffee are water-soluble at different temperatures and times. Coffee brewed with water around 200 degrees Fahrenheit tends to be more acidic than cold brew coffee and may have bright, fruit-forward flavors because those flavor compounds are more easily extracted with hot water. Cold brew coffee is less acidic, and therefore the same beans brewed this way may reveal notes of chocolate, spice, or nuts. Cold Brew Coffee also uses a higher ratio of coffee to water, so the resulting coffee is relatively concentrated. Dilute cold brew with ice, water, milk, or your favorite coffee addition.
Kauai Coffee Cold Brew Coffee RecipeMaking 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew at home is easy! Follow these five steps.
- In a pitcher, combine a ratio of 3/4 cup of 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew or your favorite coarsely ground Kauai Coffee beans to every 25 oz. (3+ cups) of cold water.
- Stir the coffee and water to make sure all grounds are saturated, cover, and steep in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours. Tip: Make your cold brew before bed, and it will be ready in the morning!
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter or cheesecloth and place it over another pitcher or container.
- Slowly filter the cold brew coffee through the strainer into the container.
- Pour yourself a cup and enjoy! Tip: Cold brew coffee is concentrated. Serve over ice and dilute with your favorite creamer, milk, or sparkling water for a refreshing treat. Top with luscious lilikoi cold foam for a tropical twist!
Lilikoi Cold Foam RecipeIf you crave tropical citrus, mango, and pineapple flavors, then you will love lilikoi! Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for passion fruit. Lilikoi grows abundantly in Hawaii and is popular for its tart, tangy, and tropical flavor. Use this recipe to create a luscious lilikoi cold foam you can use to top your cold brew coffee, fruit salads, or dessert! If you cannot find fresh lilikoi at a grocery store or specialty market near you, look for frozen passion fruit pulp in the freezer section.
IngredientsFor the lilikoi simple syrup
- 4 fresh lilikoi or 1/2 cup frozen passion fruit pulp
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon lilikoi simple syrup
InstructionsFor the lilikoi simple syrup
- Cut fresh lilikoi in half, scoop out the pulp and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine equal parts sugar and water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once sugar and water are combined, remove the mixture from the heat and add the lilikoi pulp.
- Let the pulp steep in the simple syrup for at least two hours.
- Carefully strain the simple syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth to remove the fruit solids and seeds.
- Store the lilikoi simple syrup in a glass jar in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Pour half and half and 1 tablespoon of lilikoi simple syrup into a French press or sturdy container.
- Rapidly move the French press plunger up and down 15 to 30 times until the half and half reaches a light and foamy consistency. A handheld milk frother or hand mixer will also work to achieve a light and foamy consistency.
- Top your cold brew with lilikoi cold foam and enjoy!
More ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee Cold Brew100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew is available in single 10 oz. bags and in the Summer Blues gift set. Don’t wait to treat yourself or surprise someone you love with a refreshing and thoughtful gift. The Summer Blues gift set includes a 10 oz. bag of Cold Brew, Kauai Coffee beach towel and a reusable Kauai Coffee cup for cold and hot beverages! Sign up for the Kauai Coffee newsletter and follow @KauaiCoffeeCo on social media for more recipes and ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee.
Related Blog postsView all
Coffee Flavor Profile: Chocolate and Cocoa
Every cup of Hawaiian coffee tells a story, narrated by the intricate symphony of factors that shape its flavor. Much like the celebrated complexity of wine or whisky, the flavor profile of a high-...
How to Grind Coffee Beans Like a Pro
Sipping a delicious cup of coffee in the morning is a delightful ritual for most Americans. From the first whiff of fresh Hawaiian coffee beans wafting from the package to the sounds of your percol...
Coffee for Two: Valentine’s Day Recipes
Being in the coffee business, we know a thing or two about love. Growing Hawaiian coffee takes a great deal of aloha and passion, and many of life's most cherished friendships and relationships beg...
4 Easy Ways to Brew Hawaiian Coffee: Your Guide to a Perfect Cup
Imagine starting your day with a barista-quality cup of coffee brewed quickly and effortlessly in your own kitchen. At Kauai Coffee, we believe indulging in a perfect cup of Hawaiian coffee should ...
Behind the Beans: A Virtual Visit to Kauai Coffee
Nestled on the sun-kissed South Shore of Kauai, the Kauai Coffee Visitor Center is more than just an attraction; it's an immersive experience that will delight all your senses. Surrounded by 3,100 ...
Warm Up Winter With These Spiced Lattes
As winter embraces the northern hemisphere, even the tropical paradise of Kauai feels the shift. Here, winter is not marked by snow and ice but by heavy rain, cooler air and water temperatures. Thi...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
2023: A Year of Coffee, Community, and Connection at Kauai Coffee
As the sun sets on another year, we're brewing a cup of reflection and gratitude. Thanks to you, it's been a remarkable year. From the lush fields of our Kauai Estate to your cup, you've made 2023 ...
Discover the Best Hawaiian Coffee for Every Palate
Grown in unique microclimates and nutrient-rich volcanic soil, Hawaiian coffee boasts distinct flavor notes and characteristics that are celebrated worldwide. From crisp citrus and mellow florals t...
Tutu's Coffee and Chocolate Ganache Cake
Nothing embodies the warmth and togetherness of the holiday season more than baking something delicious for your family and friends to enjoy. At Kauai Coffee, we know just how rewarding it is to ma...
How to Make Espresso Without a Machine
For many coffee drinkers, espresso is the ultimate expression of coffee perfection. Even though people widely consume it in the United States and around the world, there is much confusion about wha...