Kauai Coffee Cold Brew Recipe with Lilikoi Cold Foam
What is Cold Brew CoffeeCold brew coffee is made by steeping grounds in cold water for 12-24 hours. You can make cold brew from any coffee bean or roast, but a medium coarse grind is preferred for best results. If you plan to serve your cold brew coffee with dairy or non-dairy creamer, you might select a dark roast to balance the sweetness of the milk. On the other hand, if you prefer your cold brew without creamer or sweeteners, a medium roast may be the right choice for you. Experimenting with your favorite beans, roasts, and flavors is what makes learning how to cold brew coffee enjoyable!
How is Cold Brew Different from Iced Coffee?Cold brew coffee and iced coffee are made using different brewing methods. Iced coffee is brewed with hot water, cooled, and then served over ice. Brewing the same coffee with hot or cold methods will result in different flavors and mouthfeel because the chemical compounds that make up the flavors and aromas of coffee are water-soluble at different temperatures and times. Coffee brewed with water around 200 degrees Fahrenheit tends to be more acidic than cold brew coffee and may have bright, fruit-forward flavors because those flavor compounds are more easily extracted with hot water. Cold brew coffee is less acidic, and therefore the same beans brewed this way may reveal notes of chocolate, spice, or nuts. Cold Brew Coffee also uses a higher ratio of coffee to water, so the resulting coffee is relatively concentrated. Dilute cold brew with ice, water, milk, or your favorite coffee addition.
Kauai Coffee Cold Brew Coffee RecipeMaking 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew at home is easy! Follow these five steps.
- In a pitcher, combine a ratio of 3/4 cup of 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew or your favorite coarsely ground Kauai Coffee beans to every 25 oz. (3+ cups) of cold water.
- Stir the coffee and water to make sure all grounds are saturated, cover, and steep in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours. Tip: Make your cold brew before bed, and it will be ready in the morning!
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter or cheesecloth and place it over another pitcher or container.
- Slowly filter the cold brew coffee through the strainer into the container.
- Pour yourself a cup and enjoy! Tip: Cold brew coffee is concentrated. Serve over ice and dilute with your favorite creamer, milk, or sparkling water for a refreshing treat. Top with luscious lilikoi cold foam for a tropical twist!
Lilikoi Cold Foam RecipeIf you crave tropical citrus, mango, and pineapple flavors, then you will love lilikoi! Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for passion fruit. Lilikoi grows abundantly in Hawaii and is popular for its tart, tangy, and tropical flavor. Use this recipe to create a luscious lilikoi cold foam you can use to top your cold brew coffee, fruit salads, or dessert! If you cannot find fresh lilikoi at a grocery store or specialty market near you, look for frozen passion fruit pulp in the freezer section.
IngredientsFor the lilikoi simple syrup
- 4 fresh lilikoi or 1/2 cup frozen passion fruit pulp
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon lilikoi simple syrup
InstructionsFor the lilikoi simple syrup
- Cut fresh lilikoi in half, scoop out the pulp and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine equal parts sugar and water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once sugar and water are combined, remove the mixture from the heat and add the lilikoi pulp.
- Let the pulp steep in the simple syrup for at least two hours.
- Carefully strain the simple syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth to remove the fruit solids and seeds.
- Store the lilikoi simple syrup in a glass jar in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Pour half and half and 1 tablespoon of lilikoi simple syrup into a French press or sturdy container.
- Rapidly move the French press plunger up and down 15 to 30 times until the half and half reaches a light and foamy consistency. A handheld milk frother or hand mixer will also work to achieve a light and foamy consistency.
- Top your cold brew with lilikoi cold foam and enjoy!
More ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee Cold Brew100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew is available in single 10 oz. bags and in the Summer Blues gift set. Don’t wait to treat yourself or surprise someone you love with a refreshing and thoughtful gift. The Summer Blues gift set includes a 10 oz. bag of Cold Brew, Kauai Coffee beach towel and a reusable Kauai Coffee cup for cold and hot beverages! Sign up for the Kauai Coffee newsletter and follow @KauaiCoffeeCo on social media for more recipes and ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee.
Related Blog postsView all
Whole Bean Vs. Ground Coffee: Which is Right for You?
If you brew coffee at home, you likely start your day with one question – whole bean or ground? In this guide, we're spilling the beans on the difference between the two so you can understand how t...
How Do Coffee Beans Grow?
The 2023 harvest has begun! With the coffee trees full of ripe cherries, now is a great time to go behind-the-scenes and get a look at how coffee beans grow in Hawaii. Find out how our island-grown...
Complete Guide to Peaberry Coffee
If you see peaberry on a coffee shop menu, you might wonder what it is and why it's so expensive. If these questions have crossed your mind, this guide to peaberry coffee is for you. Learn about pe...
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is Back Again!
The calendar may say August, but our hearts say it's pumpkin season, which means Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie is back for a limited time! With subtle notes of cinnamon, caramel and pecan one sip will trans...
Vanilla Cinnamon Graham Cracker Latte Recipe
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on ou...
Inaugural Kauai 50 Showcases Unbreakable Spirit and Community Camaraderie
The rugged beauty of Kauai's landscape served as the backdrop for the inaugural Kauai 50, a grueling 50-mile trail race that brought together professional ultra runners and passionate enthusiasts a...
Four Ways to Enjoy Cold Coffee Before Summer Ends
As the summer season winds down, there's still time to savor the refreshing delight of cold coffee. Whether you're a coffee enthusiast or just looking for a cool pick-me-up, Kauai Coffee offers a f...
Coffee Cupping with the Pros
Coffee cupping is a refined art that requires passion, skill, and expertise. Through the cupping process, professional coffee graders employ their finely tuned senses to unlock the secrets hidden w...
Two Mango Coffee Recipes to Savor This Summer
Nothing tastes like summer as much as a ripe, juicy mango. Sweet and tangy, more than 500 varieties of mango grow across the Hawaiian Islands, making it a popular ingredient in summertime pies, cak...
Fair Trade Committee Empowers Island Community with Development Fund Distribution
More than $180,000 Distributed to Community Organizations and Employees Photo: Dennis Fujimoto / The Garden Island As the largest coffee farm in the USA, Kauai Coffee makes waves for growing exce...
Chocolate Macadamia Nut S'mores Latte
If you could capture the taste of summer in one bite, what would you choose? A gooey s'more toasted over a smoldering campfire and enjoyed under a thick blanket of Pacific stars is definitely on o...