Thanksgiving is just around the corner and if you are planning to serve roasted poultry or pork at your holiday gathering add a taste of paradise to your menu with this simple, sweet and savory Kauai Coffee rub.
Spice rubs add delicious flavor and depth to any type of meat but applying a savory rub to turkey and other lean, white meat before roasting is an especially easy and ono (delicious) preparation that will have your family and friends reaching for seconds. For the best results season your turkey at least an hour before putting it in the oven, imu (Hawaiian hot stone pit oven) or grill.
Sweet and Savory Kauai Coffee Rub
- ¼ cup finely ground Kauai Coffee (we recommend a bright, floral and buttery dark roast coffee like the Poipu Estate Reserve or Kauai Blue Mountain Reserve)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or red chili flakes
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Rub can be stored in a sealed jar for up to 6 months.
Kauai Coffee Rub Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Defrost a 10-12 lb. turkey and pat dry.
- Place turkey in roasting pan and coat with 2-3 tablespoons of softened butter. Be sure to place some pieces of butter underneath the skin for a crispier texture.
- Sprinkle Kauai Coffee rub seasoning over the turkey and evenly distribute all over the outside and inside of the cavity.
- Optional: Add 2-3 cups of water or stock to your roasting pan and add aromatics of your choice (chopped onion, lemon or fresh herbs) inside the cavity of the turkey for roasting.
- Roast turkey according to instructions or approximately 13 minutes per pound in a 450 degree oven until the meat reaches a temperature of 165 degrees.
Want to add even more roasted flavor to your Thanksgiving bird? Try adding ¼ cup of whole Kauai Coffee beans to the cavity with your optional aromatics. Use the roasting pan juices to make a rich and roasted pan gravy to accompany your meal.